View All Jobs Sheridan College
is currently hiring on a vacant job post of based in Please read the job detail carefully before applying.
The Director, Government and Community Relations is a senior administrator, strategic advisor, and organizational lead who ensures leaders at Sheridan effectively build and steward key relationships with government officials (elected and non-elected), and key influencers across all sectors and communities specifically in Brampton, and across Peel region more broadly. The incumbent actively identifies opportunities and develops, implements and oversees strategies to inform and influence government decisions and approval of resources, in support of Sheridan’s mission and strategic priorities. The incumbent serves as an easily accessible, highly visible and involved point-person and representative of Sheridan with government officials and community leaders.
- Creating and coordinating events designed to raise Sheridan’s visibility and profile and to generate engagement with, and support from, government, key influencers in the community, and industry partners.
- Raising awareness of Sheridan and its initiatives in local communities; works with administrators, faculty, students, alumni and others to nurture and grow Sheridan’s reputation and network.
- Identifying opportunities to move Sheridan’s external relations priorities forward and strengthen an institutional culture that supports community engagement across Sheridan.
- Maintaining consistent presence in community on behalf of Sheridan at events and collaboratives.
- Identifying and building relations with leaders of community and government groups (e.g. industry groups and associations, cultural and faith groups, labour, resident associations) to further advance Sheridan interests and to promote Sheridan as a resource to its community.
- Providing strategic input, counsel and oversight specifically for elements that deal with Government Relations strategy. Developing, coordinating, executing and evaluating annual strategic and comprehensive government relations plan.
- Working collaboratively with members of the External Relations division, and other senior Sheridan leaders to develop comprehensive government relations, community engagement, and outreach plans in alignment with the organizational strategic plan, especially as it relates to Sheridan’s Davis Campus in Brampton.
- Preparing and presenting legislative summaries, policy options, presentations, briefing materials, proposals, reports, and other materials for the development of strong advocacy programs.
- Experience in an academic environment would be considered an asset;
- Strong political acuity and diplomacy, as well as strong relationship building skills
- Experience working in a senior level position for an elected official (i.e. mayor, councilor, MP/MPP or minister) is required
- Experience with senior level strategic policy and planning;
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in Political Science, Public Policy/ Administration, Public Relations, Government Relations,
- Communications or other related field, along with 9 years of government and community relations including networking with political/governmental contacts (Equivalency will be considered)
Company: Sheridan College
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Job Location: Brampton, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A